You are here:   Blog Description
Register   |  Login

Sources: Hakeem Nicks' deal is Giants' biggest priority

Feb
3
2/3/2013 9:48:57 AM
| More

For all the talk there has been about the New York Giants signing restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz to a long-term contract, the team is putting a bigger emphasis at this time on signing wide receiver Hakeem Nicks to a long-term deal, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports citing league sources.

Nicks, 25, has one year remaining on his contract, but New York would like to tie him to the team long term as it views him as a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

Due to injuries to his knee and foot, Nicks failed to post 1,000 yards receiving for the first time since 2009.

Nicks finished third on the Giants with 53 receptions, notching 692 yards and three touchdowns. It was the first time in three seasons that Nicks did not have at least 76 receptions, 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns in a season.

The Giants also would like to keep the 26-year-old Cruz, but at this time, Nicks' contract status is the higher priority.

Giants owner John Mara said last week that he wants Cruz to remain a Giant, but at a reasonable price.

"We certainly want him back, but like with any player, there's a limit to where we're going to go," the Giants' co-owner told reporters Friday. "He's been a terrific player for us, he's a fan favorite, he does a lot for our franchise, but there is a limit."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
 


Comments
You must register and be logged in to comment
Date: 2/3/2013 5:43:21 PM
User: O-Men
Huge Mistake!
Whatever Giants' source leaked this information just made a huge mistake. If I'm Victor Cruz, I'm severely pissed that the team that I have given my heart & soul to is making their other WR a higher priority when I have just made the Pro-bowl and am 10X more reliable. On top of that, Cruz is the one who's actually the free agent, so the Giants plans will be to low ball him and wait to pay the big money to the guy I've been outperforming the last 2 years. I am very upset to hear about this report and hopefully it's been taken out of context, because Cruz will feel slighted whether he admits it or not. The Giants will have to smooth this over or face a hold out from Cruz, bad business to have your intentions out in the open like this.
Date: 2/5/2013 6:33:27 AM
User: BobBurr
I think that the Giants are correct to prioritize Nicks. Cruz is a restricted free Agent so the Giants will not only be able to match any offer, but will get draft compensation if he leaves, Cruz was better in 2011 than in 2012. He was second only to Jimmy Graham in total drops this last year and his yards after catch were way down. He must cure his tendency to want to run before he has caught the ball. Hopefully, he will see what happened to Steve Smith and Mario Manningham as they moved on and not overestimate his worth. That said, it should not have been leaked.