You are here:   Blog Description
Register   |  Login

Sources say NFL remains undecided on future of Pro Bowl

Jan
28
1/28/2013 2:08:52 PM
| More

A day after what players believed was a more competitive and accurate portrayal of football, the NFL remains undecided about various aspects of the Pro Bowl. Sources familiar with the league's thinking say there will be far-ranging discussions -- internally and with the players -- on the immediate and long-term future of the Pro Bowl, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network and NFL.com reports.

One source involved in the decision-making process said the quality of play was "much-improved over last year," but also indicated that does not mean it will continue. Commissioner Roger Goodell had said the quality had to be better for the game to be played each year.

In a Reddit chat with fans on Monday, Goodell answered a question about the effort demonstrated by players.

Goodell wrote, "I watched the game and noticed the improved quality of the game. I appreciate the players' commitment in this regard. We need to continually work to make our game better for the fans. I look forward to getting detailed player comment and input over the next few weeks."

There were some negatives to the annual all-star game in Hawaii. The stands had some empty seats, though the announced crowd was 47,134 at Aloha Stadium, which has a capacity of 50,000. That fact could loom large for the league and the players, who will discuss game quality, timing and location among other details.

The league will consider moving the Pro Bowl to the Super Bowl host city, and keeping it the week before the game. That was the case in Miami four years ago. That might not happen next year in New York, but it could work the following year in Arizona. It seems the players want the Pro Bowl to be played after the Super Bowl.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg 

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org


Comments
You must register and be logged in to comment